COLUMBUS ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
PLANNING QUESTIONS FOR JUNE 1, 2017 MEETING
1- Why construct a new Columbus Centre at this time?
2 - What other options were considered?
3 - Why were plans for the rezoning submitted to the city before they
4. Why were the plans rejected by the city?
5. Why is a joint venture with Dante Alighieri Secondary School necessary
to this project?
6. Who are the developers most actively involved in this proposed
7. The Columbus Centre land was given as a
grant by the Province of Ontario for the sole purpose of establishing a
not-for-profit community centre overseen by a board of directors. Are
Villa Charity boards expected to act in a transparent manner for the
benefit of the community?
8. What board members voted to proceed with this construction?
8. When was the vote taken to proceed with this construction?
9. How was the community consulted and informed before the vote was
10. Was the inconvenience of the proposed construction for the 4,000
Columbus Centre members and the hundreds of tenants in the senior residences
owned by Villa Charities on this property taken into consideration?
11. Why were elderly tenants in Caboto Towers & Casa Del Zotto only
informed of the proposed construction on May 31, 2017?
12. Why have the total plans for all the land owned by the Columbus
Centre and the school not been made public?
13. Why does the new roadway plan submitted show it would be an access
road for 2,000 condo units?
14. Why did the Archdiocese two years ago plan on having the church torn
down by 2020?
25. Why has Cardinal Collins now said it will never be torn down during
their 50 year lease?
15. How much is the proposed construction estimated to cost?
16. How is the proposed building going to be paid for?
17. The Catholic School Board is a public institution answering to
elected officials. What was the date that their board debated and
approved this development?
18. How was the public informedof this important issue by the school board before the vote?
19. Is the lawyer handling the OMB submission for Villa Charities
aware that the community was not consulted about this construction before
the submission was made to the city?
20. Why do the plans show no (1) squash courts (2) racquetball
courts (3) tennis courts (4) whirlpools (5) men's Health Club steam room (6)
Men's or Women's lounge/TV room (7) no Men's small Health Club gym (8) no
Women's small Health Club gym (8) separate saunas for Men and Women's Health
Club (10) dedicated small lockers for each member.
21. Is it proposed that the students will share locker space with
22. Why would the development of the new building be announced before
suitable temporary quarters had been established to accommodate the 4,000
members in the same manner that they are now accommodated?
23. Why does not one member from the 4,000 Columbus Centre members sit on
the board of Villa Charities?
24. Why are Villa Charities board members not elected annually to
the board of this not for profit charity by the community that they are
expected to serve?
25. If the Columbus Centre board did not fully participate in the
planning for the new Columbus Centre, why are there three separate boards
reporting to Villa Charities?
26. Why was CASA (The Columbus Athletic & Social Association) that
represents the community that Villa Charities and the Columbus Centre serves
denied access to the email list of all members and disallowed from posting
notices on club bulletin boards about the proposed construction?
27. Are there any directors with conflicts of interest in this proposed
development now serving on the 3 boards?
28. Why have Villa Charities opted to go to the Ontario Municipal Board before
the community they serve and the city they reside in have been fully informed
and have had a chance to debate the planned construction and zoning changes?
29. Why is Villa Charities opposed to the Columbus Centre being a
designated heritage site for Ontario's Italian community?
30. How many more spots, than now exist, will be available solely
to Columbus Centre members between 5 AM and 10 PM each day?
32. How many of these spots will be shared with the school during the
33. Funerals, weddings, company meeting room rentals and other
events open to the public can result in no parking spots being available for
the 4,000 club members. How is this problem going to be controlled?
34. Shared facilities with the school will result in conflicts.
What body will arbitrate disputes and how will the 4,000 members be represented
on this body?
35. The elderly tenants in the your senior residences now have easy
access to the existing park and green space. How will their safety of
this access be assured during the construction?
36. What access to park land and green space, is it proposed they will
they have access to after the construction?